If you’re looking to invest in a new shower screen for your home you may be a bit confused as to the choices available to you and exactly what each one is and what the pros and cons are for each.
The most common question we get asked are the differences between frameless vs semi-frameless shower screens.
Let’s start by analyzing exactly what each one is and then outline their benefits.
What is a Frameless Shower Screen?
As you can see from the image above, there is no framework surrounding the glass panels, hence the term “frameless shower screen”. This style of shower screen can be installed in a variety of arrangements with the above arrangement being very common.
In the image above you can see a fixed panel on the left which is held in place by 3 x wall brackets and 1 floor bracket. On the right hand side you can see a door which is hinged to the right hand wall with 2 x hinges.
Benefits of Frameless Shower Screens
- 10mm Frameless is more of a luxurious look
- Frameless screens have no sill so it’s easier to keep clean with less silicone & framing
- In some designs it can give you a bigger opening in tight or small entry areas due to no wall frames & no pivot block (frameless doors can hinge directly from the wall maximizing the opening. As demonstrated in the image above).
- 10mm Frameless can be any height unlike 6mm semi frameless that would be limited to around 2100mm high due to glass floppiness.
- 10mm has no track to step over so entry floor has no trip hazards.
- Frameless can have brushed patch fittings to match the customers tapware in most cases. Semi frameless has no brushed finishes.
- 10mm frameless can be installed as a wide single panel that you walk around to enter the shower area. 6mm in this situation can be a bit floppy when cleaning etc.
What is a Semi Frameless Shower Screen?
As you can see from the image above, a semi-frameless shower screen consists of 6mm glass (clear or low iron) with a perimeter frame which secures to the walls and encases the shower screen panels.
Semi frameless shower screens can be installed in a wide variety of arrangements. The above arrangement is of a fixed panel on the left and a fixed panel on the right, both held in place on 3 sides by the frame. A 6mm frameless door is held in place by 2 x hinges (top and bottom) to the outer frame.
Benefits of Semi- Frameless Shower Screens
- Customers can achieve the “frameless” look for an economical price. The door is frameless and this offers the feel of being an overall frameless shower. Hence the term “semi-frameless”.
- Can be installed faster with a shorter lead-time.
- These have a larger range of patterned glass to choose from.
- They are a one man installation & unlike 10mm frameless, can be supplied as a DIY & sent to remote locations much easier than heavy 10mm glass.
- Seals better than a 10mm frameless screen due to framing on the tiled floor.
- Generally more water tight especially on smaller showers.
- Greater ability for adjustment, for out of square or slightly twisted nib walls.
Both styles of shower screens can be made with clear or low iron glass. All of our glass is toughened safety glass, and processed at our facility in Wangara, offering you the highest standards of quality control and a custom-made product manufactured to exact Australian Standards.
You can view our full range of shower screens to get an idea of what your options are for your bathroom.
If you’d like to receive a FREE, No-Obligation Quote and measure, call us now.